Perks for Students in State College, PA
March 24, 2017
There’s more to being a college student than studying. It’s a special time to transition from living under your parents’ roof to providing for yourself.
It can be a challenge to juggle classes, part-time jobs, and your budget. But many brands and stores make it a little easier by offering discounts and benefits just for students. We’ve shared below a few perks for students in the State College, PA area, as well as several that apply to any student in the U.S.
Discounts may vary based on the store’s location.
Penn State Student Discounts
Penn State students get discounts on pretty much anything that comes to campus, including sports, plays and concerts. Most of these are at the Bryce Jordan Center (BJC), but some shows occur in different buildings on campus. Student Programming Association (SPA) also brings in a ton of free shows and concerts for students.
Restaurants such as Inferno Brick Oven & Bar on College Avenue offer breaks for students. Each week, there’s usually a featured store that offers a discount to students who use LionCash.
While it may not be a discount, the OrderUp online food delivery service is definitely a perk for students in State College. OrderUp hires delivery drivers who partner with restaurants that don’t typically deliver, like McDonald’s.
Don’t miss out on free coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts on the Monday after football games that Penn State wins. In order to redeem their free coffee, students must have the Dunkin’ Donuts app.
Discover more discounts for students at Penn State here.
Looking to save a few bucks on your next meal? Check with local restaurants to see if they provide student discounts or a college night.
National chains that offer student discounts include:
- SUBWAY: 10% off purchase at participating locations
- BURGER KING: 10% off purchase
- QDOBA: $5 student burritos
- CHICK-FIL-A: Free drink with a meal
- FIREHOUSE SUBS: 10% off purchase
- CHIPOTLE: Free drink with purchase
- SAM’S CLUB: Collegiate membership pricing and perks
A number of nationwide retailers offer student perks. Get in-store discounts just by showing your student ID at the following stores:
- J.CREW: 15% off any full-priced item
- EDDIE BAUER: Discount varies by location
- TOMS: Free shipping
- BANANA REPUBLIC: 15% off full-priced items
- CHARLOTTE RUSSE: 10% off purchase at participating locations
College is a great time to buy software and technology that you’ll need for your career. Even AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint offer benefits to students. Others include:
- ADOBE: 60% off Creative Suite
- APPLE: Student pricing
- NORTON: Around 50% off protection software
- HP: Student pricing
- LOGITECH: 30% off purchase
- LENOVO: Student pricing
- DELL: Student pricing
- SONY: Up to 10% certain items
- MICROSOFT: Student pricing
Many local movie theaters offer student discounts. You can also find student perks when you venture out to professional sporting events, such as major league games. Museums also offer discounted tickets to students.
- AMC THEATERS: Discounted tickets on Thursdays
- CINEMARK: Special student rates
- THE MET: Discounted tickets on select performances
- BROADWAY: Discounted tickets on select performances
- CARNEGIE HALL: Student subscriptions and rush tickets
Check with your college or local entertainment venues to see what discounts might be available to students.
Need to find a cheap way to get home for the holidays? Or do you want to hit the beach for spring break? You’ll find student discounts at Amtrak, Greyhound, Coach USA and even Rail Europe.
In addition, you can get a Student Advantage Card from Choice Hotels, which gives you a 15% discount at participating locations. Several insurance companies also offer student discounts.
Other travel-related student perks include:
- JIFFY LUBE: $10 or 10% off services
- ZIPCAR: Discounted membership rates
- GREYHOUND: 20% off fares
- AMTRAK: 15% off with a Student Advantage Card
Book and Media Discounts
Have a publication you can’t live without? Check and see if you can get it for less by leveraging your status as a student.
You can find student discounts through Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist and more.
Here are few additional stores that offer student discounts:
- GUILFORD PRESS: 40% off books and other media with free shipping
- AMAZON: Free two-day shipping for six months, plus discounted Prime
Other Ways to Save
There are many other student discounts available in addition to what we’ve listed above. Before making any purchase, take the time to ask about them. You may be surprised how much it can save you.
We’re here to support you with money management ideas and the financial help you need in college and after.
Find more money management tips and resources on our WalletWorks page.
Find More Fun Things To Do In Pennsylvania