Harrisburg, PA (June 29, 2022) - PSECU, Pennsylvania’s largest credit union, announced today the winners of its 26th annual scholarship program. Each year, the program awards six scholarships - valued up to $8,000 each for a total of $48,000 - to graduating high school seniors to help reduce the financial burden of pursuing postsecondary education. Winners are selected based on their academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, and critical thinking and writing skills.
“Education is a pillar of our community outreach at PSECU. From providing financial education resources through our WalletWorks program and Online Learning Center, to offering scholarships for students to pursue their dreams through college, we understand the importance of education in obtaining financial success,” said PSECU Public Relations Coordinator Karen Rousche, who oversees the credit union’s scholarship program. “Since we started our scholarship program in 1997, we’ve disbursed more than $780,000 in scholarships to 155 students. That is something we’re very proud of because we know that it has helped young students find opportunity, reach their goals, and prepare for the future.”
Of the 400 applications PSECU received through its online application process this year, the following winners were selected:
- Aleni Alfano, Pittston Area High School, Pittston, PA, attending Penn State University
- Kate Bevec, Great Valley High School, Malvern, PA, attending Northeastern University
- Emma Mader, Red Lion High School, York, PA, attending The University of South Carolina
- Austin Winkelspecht, North Raleigh Christian Academy, Raleigh, NC, attending the United States Military Academy – West Point
PSECU John J. Marisic Memorial Scholarship
- Elizabeth Planinsek, Greater Latrobe High School, Latrobe, PA, attending University of Dayton
PSECU Michael A. Gottshall Memorial Scholarship
- Hunter Trawitz, Millersburg Area High School, Millersburg, PA, attending Millersville University
As long as scholarship requirements, including maintaining a minimum GPA, are met, each winner will receive a $2,000 scholarship per year that is renewable for up to four years, for a total scholarship value of $8,000 per student.
“Credit unions exist to create shared financial opportunities through members’ collective resources, and this scholarship program is an example of how PSECU does just that,” Rousche added. “On behalf of our members and our employees, congratulations to this year’s scholarship recipients!”