Insurance policies may not top your list of favorite things to discuss, but it's important to review your policies regularly to make sure you're protecting the things that matter most to you. This helps to not only verify that your current coverage matches your changing needs, but also can be a good opportunity to ensure you’re taking advantage of any additional savings and discounts that are available.
Here are several starting points to determine how you can find savings in your insurance coverages, both in terms of how much you're spending on the policy and what savings the policy could offer you in your everyday or ongoing expenses.
Direct Savings on Your Existing Insurance Policies
Whether or not you’re a regular insurance shopper, here are some common tactics that can help you to save even more on your insurance coverage needs.
- Take advantage of group discounts. If you belong to a membership group, such as an alumni association, you may have an opportunity to save on your insurance by purchasing it through a provider that works with that organization. Because they hope to get customers from the group, insurance companies often offer discounted rates to organizations they're affiliated with.
- Check out offerings through your credit union. If you're a PSECU member, you have exclusive access to special rates on insurance policies through PSECU Protect, LLC*. PSECU Protect works with over 40 insurance companies to offer you peace of mind while giving you the coverage you need on things like your home, car, and even pets.
- Shop around regularly. Insurance premiums change frequently, so be sure to check every few months to see how your rates have changed. With most insurance types, there is no penalty to switch insurance companies early, so if you find a better rate, be sure to take advantage of it. In addition, be sure to contact your current provider to see if there are any additional discounts you may qualify for to lower your rate. If you find that you’re overwhelmed with options, an experienced licensed agent from PSECU Protect can help shop your insurance on your behalf and apply any discounts and savings that exist.
- Make sure your plan is designed for your current needs. Life changes, and sometimes during these changes, insurance isn't the first thing on your mind. However, it's important to keep your insurance policies consistent with your current needs to make sure you not only have the coverage you need, but also that you aren't overpaying. For example, if you've moved, your new zip code may impact the cost of your auto insurance. Or, if you’ve recently gotten married, be sure to adjust your coverage as needed and take advantage of insurance discounts for married individuals.
- Bundle your insurance policies. Most people know that if you're able to purchase multiple types of insurance through one provider, it'll often help you save. However, you may not know that bundling discounts also can be found if you purchase multiple policies through the same agent (even if they are with different carriers). So, make sure you're talking to an insurance agent about all your needs so they can be on the lookout for bundled prices that may bring the total cost of your policies down.
How Additional Insurance Coverages Can Help You Save Even More
Once you have the policies in place to cover your needs, there are many ways they can help you save in your day-to-day life. While the possibilities may vary based on your specific policies, check out some common scenarios below:
- Auto Insurance: Some auto insurance companies offer perks like free roadside assistance. If you find yourself stranded with a flat tire or out of gas, this may save you from having to call a towing company or waiting for someone to deliver fuel for your car.
- Pet Insurance: Our furry friends are just like family members. They need to go to the vet for both regular and emergency visits. If you have a pet or are considering adding one to your family, evaluate whether pet insurance will help you save. Even if your pet is healthy now, insurance could help to cover extensive hospital and vet bills in the event that your pet suddenly requires medical attention.
- Personal Articles: If you have a high-value item in your home, you may want to get it insured separately from your renters or homeowners insurance. Those policies may place a cap on how much they'll pay out in the event one specific item is damaged or lost. Ask your insurance agent about personal article policies for pieces you're specifically interested in protecting, such as wedding and engagement rings or valuable pieces of art. Often these policies are low in price but will help you save big if you ever find yourself in a position to replace a lost or damaged item.
Maximize your Insurance Savings with PSECU Protect, LLC
When it comes to insurance and ways you can save, it's important to work with a trusted professional. PSECU Protect, LLC, offers PSECU members access to special rates on a variety of insurance types to maximize your savings Plus, experienced licensed agents are on hand to assist and answer any questions you may have. A quote is always free and no-obligation, and they’ll do the heavy lifting by shopping across 40+ insurance companies on your behalf.
Get started online at www.psecuprotect.insuranceaisle.com, or reach a licensed agent directly by calling 888.444.0756.
*Not all products, coverages and discounts are available in every state. Restrictions, exclusions, limits and conditions apply.
Insurance products are offered by PSECU Protect, LLC an affiliate of Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union (PSECU). Available insurance products are not deposits of Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union and are not protected by any type of deposit insurance, are not obligations of or guaranteed by Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union or its affiliates, and may be subject to risk. Insurance products are not insured or guaranteed by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) or any other agency of the United States. Any insurance required as a condition of the extension of credit by Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union need not be purchased from our Agency, PSECU Protect, LLC, but may, without affecting the approval of the application for an extension of credit, be purchased from an agent or insurance company of the customer's choice.
The content provided in this publication is for informational purposes only. Nothing stated is to be construed as financial or legal advice. Some products not offered by PSECU. PSECU does not endorse any third parties, including, but not limited to, referenced individuals, companies, organizations, products, blogs, or websites. PSECU does not warrant any advice provided by third parties. PSECU does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information provided by third parties. PSECU recommends that you seek the advice of a qualified financial, tax, legal, or other professional if you have questions.